Quantity: 1 available
Boston (England): T. Morton, 1842. First edition. Original green cloth, lettered in gilt on the front, 68 pp., engraved title, illustrated with twelve leaves of plates inserted - all copies listed on WorldCat call for eleven. A gift inscription to "The Honorable Edward Everett" from "T.B. Lawrence, London, 1853". Construction of St. Botolph's in old Boston, Lincolnshire, began in the 14th century. This book describes and illustrates its architectural features, distinguished by one of the tallest medieval towers in England at about 280 feet. T. Bigelow Lawrence was an American diplomat from "new" Boston; he was at this time assigned at the Embassy in London - his father Abbott Lawrence was Minister. "He was present at the re-opening of St. Botolph's Church (after some remodeling) in 1853," (William White, "History...of Lincolnshire...", 1856), the year of this gift inscription. Everett had been Minister to England from 1841-1845. His engraved bookplate on the pastedown. Of the eight copies of this edition in WorldCat, seven are located in the U.S. (one in Ireland), five of those within 60 miles of "new" Boston. Cloth with some rubbing, wear at spine ends, tips worn through. Light foxing to the plates, very light in the text. A Good copy.
Title: Descriptive & Historical Account of St. Botolph's Church, Boston.
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: [everett,edward]anonymous.275boston(england):t.m