Quantity: 1 available
London: Longmans, Green, 1917. First edition (Blehl, D5). Edited by Francis Joseph Bacchus at the Birmingham Oratory. Laid in are three autograph letters, signed by Bacchus, dated in 1933 and 1935, 14 total pages in original mailing envelopes, and a postcard, to Rev. Sidney Leslie Ollard, church historian, discussing several of the finer points of the Newman correspondence. Also laid in is a printed flier, undated, signed in print by 14 Oxford undergraduates, inviting freshmen to attend chapel at Pusey House, offering an alternative to the Gospel as presented by some of the Church's "most zealous evangelicals", which may be "inadequate for their intellectual and spritual needs." Newman founded the Birmingham Oratory in 1848, three years after converting to Roman Catholicism. Its tradition of High Mass "old rite" liturgy continues, but it also offers the less conservative "Low Mass" in deference to a 2007 edict by Pope Benedict. John Henry Newman was beatified by Benedict in 2010; the Oratory is soliciting testimonials of miracles on its website, in hopes that he will soon be canonized. And, in response to numerous calls from all over the world for "relics" of John Henry Newman, the Oratory was disappointed, after exhuming his body in 2010, that nothing was left but a brass plate, coffin handles, and replica of his cardinal's hat, a small "wooden crucifix inlaid with silver, and one small fragment of bone." (see the Birmingham Oratory website). This volume with the ownership signature of S.L. Ward, with his annotations on the front and back endpapers, and a clipped review from "The Church Times" of November 30, 1917 tipped to the pastedown. Some soiling, joints and hinges cracking, some rubbing. A Good copy.
Title: Correspondence of John Henry Newman with John Keble and Others. 1839-1845.
Item: 1.00 Item
Seller ID: [oxfordmovement]175london:longmans,green,1917.fi